People laid flowers at a memorial in George Floyd Square in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA on April 21, 2021.
Yasin Ozturk | Anadolu Agency | Getty Images
At least one person sustained non-life-threatening injuries after gunfire was reported near the site where George Floyd was killed a year ago, a Minneapolis Police Department spokesman said Tuesday.
“This is an evolving incident. No further information is available at this time,” said John Elder, the spokesman, in an email.
The Associated Press previously reported that up to 30 shots were heard a block from the intersection known as George Floyd Square, causing viewers to duck for cover. The news service reported that a shop window appeared to have been damaged by a bullet.
According to the AP, a festival was planned in the area for Tuesday on Tuesday.
Elder said the police responded to reports of gunfire at 10:09 am local time. Callers reported that a suspicious vehicle “was last seen leaving the area at high speed,” he said.
“A short time later, a person showed up at Abbott Northwestern Hospital with a gunshot wound,” Elder said. “The victim was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center for treatment.”
Floyd, who was black, was killed in an arrest on May 25, 2020 by officers working for the Minneapolis Police Department at the time.
A shooting was reported near 38th and Elliot Ave., one block from George Floyd Square, on the anniversary of the year he died.
Derek Chauvin, a white ex-officer who was filmed kneeling on Floyd’s neck for about 9 minutes, was convicted of Floyd’s murder last month and may have spent decades in prison if convicted. Three other former officers involved in the arrest are awaiting trial.
All four officers were dismissed after Floyd’s death.
Subscribe to CNBC Pro for the live TV stream, deep insights and analysis of how to invest over the next president’s term.